Ignorance Po$ing as Trans-Friendly
Are you full of cis privilege with a penchant for running your mouth about trans people all the while thinking you’re open-minded? Hi, Ke$ha (and an army of fauxgressives)!
The following quote is attributed to the pop starlet:
Freaks are what make everything mildly more interesting in life but with trannies, they make me want to be a better woman. I see these men who have way better bodies than I do, more beautiful faces, better complexions, beautiful makeup, and they’re more fun than any person I’ve met in my life. They make me feel like I’m not a very good woman.
Let’s break it down, shall we?
1. Being transgender does not make one a “freak.” Point blank. This kind of blatant othering is the foundation for prejudice and discrimination, and it is unacceptable. It doesn’t matter if you meant it as a “compliment” when the word has the weight that it does in the history of transphobia.
2. “Trannies”? Seriously? Wake the fuck up, this word is a slur, no matter how many cis gay men you hear drop it like it’s hot.
3. “I see these men…” No, the people you are referring to are women. That is the entire point of being transgender – they are not men, no matter what your cis privilege decides based on anatomy they were born with.
4. They’re “more fun” than any other person you’ve met in your life? Yes, because all trans women love to go clubbing all night and do drugs and PARRRRTY! Oh wait, that’s your stereotype based on a select handful you met (who you knew were trans).
5. Women who wear makeup are better and truer women than those who don’t? You put your foot in your mouth enough already with gender in this quote, let’s not bring patriarchal bullshit into the mix as well.
Tik Tok, let’s hope the clock is ticking on your 15 minutes of fame.